Select your language (選擇語言)
Login (登入)
Username:

Password:

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu (主選單)
Did you know ?
All messages are logged in the chatroom?

Who's Online (誰在線上)
1 user(s) are online (1 user(s) are browsing CBB)

Members: 0
Guests: 1

more...
Search(搜尋)
Themes (版面風格)

(4 themes)

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 131 132 133 (134) 135 136 137 ... 172 »

Re: wanna add the next word?
Home away from home
Group:
Registered Users
Level : 32
HP : 0 / 782
MP : 472 / 40148
EXP : 28
Thanks for reminding, Geoette.
Here's the replacement.

751. geoette - bene, buta, weer, eche
752. glotynn - tene, bata, weel, oche
753. futari - wene, bats, ween, ocho
754. geoette - wend, bays, weep, echo
755. glotynn - weed, bayt, weet, echt
756. futari - "wend", baya, keet, ecut

http://www.answers.com/topic/wend

Posted on: 2007/9/10 4:09
Create PDF from Post Print

Home away from home
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

glotynn wrote:
Hi Futari,

An excerpt from your 2nd link:
<edit> (not <ecut>) - value for the cutoff energy used to define the density. Default is set to be the maximum value that will fit within the simulation_cell cell_name.
<wcut> - value for the cutoff energy used to define the one-electron orbitals. Default is set to be the maximum value that will fit within the simulation_cell cell_name.
<ncut> - value for the number of unit cells to sum over (in each direction) for the real space part of the Ewald summation. Note Ewald summation is only used if the simulation_cell is periodic.
<rcut> - value for the cutoff radius used in the Ewald summation. Note Ewald summation is only used if the simulation_cell is periodic.

Futari, such textbook-supplied symbols are defined for the convenience of explanations or descriptions on particular physical/mechanical rules, all related to the word 'cut'. They are not the regular words acceptable to the game unless you can show us their existence in regular dictionaries. Likewise, the symbols 'aplot', 'bplot', 'cplot', 'dplot'...etc. are related only to the word 'plot'; the symbols 'bpoint', 'fpoint', 'kpoint', 'wpoint',...etc. are related only to the word 'point'. You know, the game does not go with symbols, so would you enter another word to replace 'ecut'? Thanks.

Cheers!

Hi Glotynn,

Viewing the page in full will make one understand that we are quoting from different sections of the content. Mine is from <36.1.7 Car-Parrinello>, <36.2 Band Tasks>, <36.3 PAW Tasks> and <36.1.13 STEEPEST_DESCENT> that are further down the page with "ecut" clearly printed there, while yours is from <36.1 PSPW Tasks>, with the 'still-in-question' "edit". Pershaps, it's a typo of "ecut" on the reverse.

As for the 'existence' of "ecut", it can't be found in ordinary dictionaries but only in Dynamics/Kenetics/High Energy Physics/Medical Physics/... tool dictionaries. Hope the following links could help to do a little bit of explanation on it.

1) ==> ... Two parameters determine the image region, on which a source fit is performed: the parameter ecut determines the size of the subimage used for fitting a source. The parameter scut determines the radius around each source, in which other input sources are considered for multi-PSF fitting, if parameter nmulsou is . Both ecut and scut are given as encircled energy fraction of the calibration PSF. The actual radii in pixel units therefore change slightly with energy band and source position. The actual value for the cutout radius for each sources is listed in the column CUTRAD of the output source list.
==========================================================
http://xmm.vilspa.esa.es/sas/6.5.0/doc/emldetect/node3.html

2) ==> ... "ecut" --- real parameter for kinetic energy cutoff in Hartree atomic units (1 Ha=27.2113961 eV) which controls number of planewaves at given k point by (1/2)[(2 Pi)*(k+Gmax)]^2=ecut for Gmax. All planewaves inside this "basis sphere" centered at k are included in the basis.
This is the single parameter which can have an enormous
effect on the quality of a calculation; basically the larger
ecut is, the better converged the calculation is. For fixed
geometry, the total energy MUST always decrease as ecut is
raised because of the variational nature of the problem.
Usually one runs at least several calculations at various ecut to investigate the convergence needed for reliable results.
http://www.physics.ohio-state.edu/~wilkins/computing/osc/ldahelp.html

In short, "ecut" is the name of a variable/parameter.

Posted on: 2007/9/10 6:23

Guest_
To Lady:

The words ‘weer’ and ‘wend’ were used by me. Please select another word.

To All (without prejudice):

We have come to a point that this word game is no longer about winning or losing! It is more about learning new and strange words that I have only seen them now in my life. After all, the winner cannot be the winner without the other participants feeding words that makes him or her so. I have always said that every participant here is a winner. This thread has, hitherto, registered over 1,300 entries and close to 38,000 views. This makes all the viewers winners as well.

If you guys remember, we have admitted words not found in regular dictionaries such as ‘oxyl’, ‘oofo’, ‘torm’, ‘luxy’, ‘ates’, ‘byor’; the list goes on. There were also instances where ‘legal’ words were not accepted initially, but subsequently found to be acceptable through the good offices of Tim and exhaustive searches. Such words are ‘arts’, ‘lied’, ‘klep’ and a few others.

Exceptions were made in order that the fun continues. I also remember that about three weeks ago, we made an exception to admit the word ‘byor’ with Glot’s concurrence saying, and I quote ... "Well, why not? Rules are made for breaking."

And finally, my two bits’ worth for the word ‘ecut’. To my understanding ‘ecut’ is an application for cutting timbers to form tongue-and-groove joints for furniture and boxes that are not the screw-on type. The formation of parquet flooring also requires ecuts. To perform this, one needs an E-blade to ecut the timbers.

Also, the following link shows ECUT as a method of application for the testing of electric components.

http://www.patentstorm.us/patents/6853207-description.html

So may I kindly ask, where do we go from here?

Posted on: 2007/9/10 9:45

Home away from home
From Taipei
Group:
Registered Users
Moderators
Level : 27
HP : 0 / 674
MP : 333 / 36131
EXP : 96
Hi Geo,

My query at 'ecut' is completely regardless of making myself the winner as your statement may have implied. If you guys allow me, I am pleased to revoke my entry #755 so that I'm in no position to be the one. In fact, I do not care who the winner is or will be, and I agree with you that every participant is a winner already. The point is that if we allowed 'ecut', shall we also accept 'kcut', 'ncut', 'rcut'...etc. to follow it? They appear in the webpage that Futari provided. These "words" cannot even be normally pronounced due to lack of a vowel.

Hi Futari,

I'm not sure if they exist in Dynamics/Kenetics/High Energy Physics/Medical Physics/... tool dictionaries; if they do, they are introduced not as words, but as symbols. If we accept such symbols just for letting the game continue, I have no objection. Please go straight ahead and disregard my query.

Cheers.

Posted on: 2007/9/10 15:18

Guest_
Hello Glot

You have me completely misunderstood by saying that my statement may have implied the denial of a victory owed to you. Don’t get me wrong Glot, that wasn’t the intention at all. I shall be more than happy to see you or anyone else winning the game. And your flawless entry # 755 will stay as there is absolutely no reason for it to be withdrawn.

As a matter of fact, I may, I repeat ‘may’, have an answer to your ‘echt’, but Lady Futari came ahead of me and posted the word ‘ecut’.

Why don’t we invite Tim to express his thoughts about the acceptance of the word ‘ecut’ and move on from there?

And for your information, there are quite a number of words in the English dictionary that contain no vowels at all. Of course, I am not referring to ‘ecut’ here. They are; crypt, gypsy, lynx, nymph, rhythm, sky, syzygy, why and a few others. In English, y and w have double roles as consonants and vowels. Some examples are: by, cry, thy, sky, why etc.

One of the famous computer games involves a vowelless sentence that goes ... "Shy gypsy slyly spryly tryst by my crypt."

Again Glot, my sincere apologies if my earlier statement had offended you. If it had, it was unintentional!

Cheers.

Posted on: 2007/9/10 16:19

Home away from home
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

geoette wrote:
To Lady:

The words ‘weer’ and ‘wend’ were used by me. Please select another word. Quote:

Sorry to be so careless. Here's the replacement word though "ecut" is still in question.

751. geoette - bene, buta, weer, eche
752. glotynn - tene, bata, weel, oche
753. futari - wene, bats, ween, ocho
754. geoette - wend, bays, weep, echo
755. glotynn - weed, bayt, weet, echt
756. futari - "werd", baya, keet, ecut

http://www.global-language.com/CENTURY/
= A Middle English form of "weird".

Posted on: 2007/9/10 16:53

Home away from home
From Taipei
Group:
Registered Users
Moderators
Don't worry, pal. You didn't offend me at all. I was trying to avoid any possible misunderstanding by others.

The words crypt, gypsy, lynx, nymph, rhythm, sky, and syzygy are quite different cases, because their phonetics involve vowel pronunciation though not spelled with any vowel letter. You know, kcut/ncut/rcut...etc. cannot be directly pronounced unless transformed into K-cut, N-cut, R-cut...etc. Please tell me if you would recognize kcut, ncut, or rcut as English WORDS.

Anyway, if 'ecut' has an alternative meaning other than 'E-cut', it follows the rules of this game. Just like 'email', a new word 'ecut' can be created to mean "to cut electronically". This conforms to your said example "to ecut the timber" in meaning. However, this won't apply any legality to kcut/ncut/rcut.

I hope I have made my point clear.

Cheers!

Posted on: 2007/9/11 18:06

Guest_
Hi Glot

I am glad that you are not disturbed by my statement.

Obviously the words kcut, ncut, and rcut are not found in regular dictionaries and cannot be accepted for this word game. The same goes with the word 'ecut' which is not found in any regular dictionary. I am not sure if it is allowable. My description of the word does not make it 'legal' for this game, which is why I have asked Tim to voice his opinion, that doesn't seem coming.

Assuming it is, may I also ask whether or not, the word 'eyht' (answer to your 'echt') is admissible for this game? The word is also not found in any regular dictionary but it is a term established by The Bakinets International Society for a ceremony called the eyht ceremony, the link of which I shall provide below. If it is, then I will save it for future use.

http://bakinets.narod.ru/Humay_baza.htm

Cheers pal!

Posted on: 2007/9/11 19:10

Home away from home
Group:
Registered Users
Well, folks, I see no reason why "ecut" can be accepted as "to cut electronically" but not "(kenetic) energy cutoff" as mentioned in my previous links.

[Note: "Ecut" has something to do with "阈值能量"參數, and determine the basis of planewaves used. This is the single parameter which can have an enormous effect on the quality of a calculation; basically the larger "ecut" is, the better converged the calculation is. For fixed geometry, the total energy MUST always decrease as "ecut" is raised because of the variational nature of the problem. Usually one runs at least several calculations at various "ecut" to investigate the convergence needed for reliable results.]

Posted on: 2007/9/11 23:51

Home away from home
From Taipei
Group:
Registered Users
Moderators
Hi Geo,

Not sure if 'eyht' is a typo in the webpage you provided. In that particular sentence, 'eyht' seems an adjective equivalent to 'last'.

Posted on: 2007/9/12 0:13

« 1 ... 131 132 133 (134) 135 136 137 ... 172 »

AccountName   Password   Login

You cannot start a new topic.
You can view topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.