Username:

Password:

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu (主選單)
Did you know ?
How to upload pictures

Who's Online (誰在線上)
1 user(s) are online (1 user(s) are browsing CBB)

Members: 0
Guests: 1

more...
Search(搜尋)
Themes (版面風格)

(4 themes)

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Please help me to correct the grammar errors
Just popping in
Group:
Registered Users
Level : 2
HP : 0 / 28
MP : 3 / 1405
EXP : 12
Applying Computer-Mediated Communication (CMC) in English as a Foreign Language (EFL) teaching classroom has become a trend. CMC contains synchronous CMC, Instant Messenger (IM) and teleconference for example, and asynchronous CMC like e-mail and bulletin board. Different kinds of communication tools have been adopted in second or foreign language education. CMC has altered the environment of language learning (Ei-Tigi & Branch, 1997). The research by Kearsley (2000) has revealed that use of computer assists in language learning makes the classroom autonomous, interactive, social, collaborative, cooperative, communicative and student-centered. Furthermore, the use of a computer provides the opportunity for students to learn with reduced face-to-face contact, thus reducing anxiety. It also provides an improvement in writing skills and allows target language to develop naturally for communicative purposes (Li, 2000).
Crucial for writing is a way of thinking that allows students to manifest their own thoughts. Traditionally, in Taiwanese English writing classes, only one-draft is required. Teachers always play an important role as instructors and evaluators. According to Huang (2003), the requirement of quality writing was that students knew how to work effective writing processes with guidance when they composed their first drafts. Following the change in teaching and learning styles, students become more independent in their writing process. Lehr (1995) mentioned that revision becomes the core of the writing process and it is the final part in the writing process. Revision is “a process of making changes throughout the writing of a draft, changes that work to make the draft congruent with a writer’s changing intentions” (Lehr, 1995, p2). Students would be stimulated with new ideas and ways of thinking. Teachers would help students to do the evaluation.
Peer-evaluation becomes more and more popular because it encourages student-to-student interaction via discussion. Teacher-to-student interaction and discussion are not used as frequently in writing class today. Traditionally, peer-evaluation was that teachers give students a checklist which contains questions to check grammar or sentence structure. Then, the students would read their peers’ writings and follow the questions for the evaluation. Finally, students would follow up with individual revision.
With the development of technology such as the Internet, the procedure and application of peer-evaluation is not limited in the classroom. In Huang’s (2003) study, writing classes conducted via networked teaching according to the researcher’s design of an online writing homepage. Students composed their writings, browsed the guided information, browsed the sample writing, and did online peer-evaluation. Online peer-evaluation, which enables students to help each other improve their writing (Mangelsdorf & Schlumberger, 1992), also promotes students’ self-confidence (Hafemik, 1983), and enhances students’ ability to reconceptualize their ideas after considering the feedback from their peers (Cazden, 1988). This is commonly used in EFL composition classes.

Using different communication models in peer-evaluation, such as one-to-one and many-to-many enhances students’ learning ability and motivation (Chen, 2004; Huang, 2003; Tso, 2001). In order to reduce peer’s pressure, students apply e-mail and IM to be the communication tools when doing discussion at their leisure after school (Tsai, 2004; Lu, 2003). This study is to investigate the roles of CMC and communication model on EFL students’ online peer-evaluation at two universities in Taiwan. Probing the influences of communication tools and models in peer-evaluation is to know which communication tools and models are better for evaluation. The aim of network-based learning is to apply appropriate communication models and communication tools and thus let learners have better learning efficiency.

Posted on: 2007/4/26 9:30
Create PDF from Post Print

Re: Please help me to correct the grammar errors
Home away from home
Group:
Registered Users
Moderators
Level : 38
HP : 0 / 935
MP : 738 / 50079
EXP : 43
Hello ginny:
Weclome here!! Are you a student?

Posted on: 2007/4/27 17:52

Guest_
Hello Ginny

I have been ‘accused’ of having my arms folded. But honestly, I am not good at making changes to essays written by others; especially this one which is so well-written. Nonetheless, I will try my hand and let the other gurus make further changes if so required.

Quote:

ginny wrote:
Applying Computer-Mediated Communication (CMC) as a teaching tool in English as a Foreign Language (EFL) is becoming teaching classroom has become a trend. CMC contains synchronous CMC, Instant Messenger (IM) and teleconference, for example; and asynchronous CMC contains like e-mail and bulletin board. Different kinds of communication tools have been adopted in second or foreign language education. While CMC has altered the environment of language learning (Ei-Tigi & Branch, 1997),the The research by Kearsley (2000) has revealed that the use of computer-aided assists programs in language learning are transforming makes the classrooms such that students are inspirationally autonomous, interactive, social, collaborative, cooperative, communicative and student-centered. Moreover Furthermore, the use of a computer provides the opportunity for students to learn with reduced face-to-face contact, thus reducing anxiety. It also assists one's provides an improvement in writing skills and allows target language to develop naturally for communicative purposes (Li, 2000).

Decisive Crucial for writing is a way of thinking that allows students to manifest their own thoughts. Traditionally, in Taiwanese English writing classes, only one-draft is required. Teachers always play an important role as instructors and evaluators. According to Huang (2003), the requirement of quality writing requires was that students knew how to employ work guided and effective writing methods processes with guidance when they composed their first drafts.

Following the change in teaching and learning styles, Students become more independent in their writing methods following the change in teaching and learning styles process. Lehr (1995) mentioned that revision becomes the core of the writing methods process and it is the final part in the writing process. Revision is “a process of making changes throughout the writing of a draft; changes that work to make the draft congruent with a writer’s changing intentions” (Lehr, 1995, p2). Students would be stimulated with new ideas and ways of thinking. Teachers would help students to do the evaluation.

Peer-evaluation becomes more and more popular because as it encourages student-to-student interactions via discussions. Teacher-to-student interactions and discussions are not used as frequently in writing classes these days today. Traditionally, peer-evaluation requires was that teachers to give students a checklist which contains questions to check on grammar or sentence structures. Then, the Students would then read their peers’ writings and follow the questions through for the evaluation. Finally, students would follow up with individual revisions.

With the development of technology such as the Internet technology lifts the procedure and application of peer-evaluation, traditionally confined to is not limited in the classroom. In Huang’s (2003) study, writing classes conducted via networked teaching according to the researcher’s design of an online writing homepage. Students composed their writings, browsed the guided information and , browsed the sample writing; and conduct did online peer-evaluation. Online peer-evaluation, which enables students to help each other improve their writing (Mangelsdorf & Schlumberger, 1992), also promotes students’ self-confidence (Hafemik, 1983), and enhances students’ ability to reconceptualize their ideas after considering the feedback from their peers (Cazden, 1988). This is commonly used in EFL composition classes.

Using different communication models in peer-evaluation, such as one-to-one and many-to-many enhances students’ learning ability and motivation (Chen, 2004; Huang, 2003; Tso, 2001). In order to reduce peer’s peer-pressure, students apply e-mail and IM as to be the communication tools when conducting doing discussions at their leisure after school (Tsai, 2004; Lu, 2003). This study is to investigate the roles of CMC and the communication model on EFL students’ online peer-evaluation at two universities in Taiwan. Probing the influences of communication tools and models in peer-evaluation is to know which communication tools and models are alternatives for better for evaluation. The aim of network-based learning is to apply appropriate communication models and communication tools for students to and thus let learners have better learning efficiency.

Posted on: 2007/4/28 21:26

Home away from home
From Taipei
Group:
Registered Users
Moderators
Level : 27
HP : 0 / 674
MP : 333 / 36083
EXP : 96
That's a great job, Geo!
It must be very helpful to Ginny.

Posted on: 2007/4/29 13:24

Guest_
Ha ha Glot

I hope I have not distorted any information therein.

Thanks anyway.

Posted on: 2007/4/29 14:18

Just popping in
Group:
Registered Users
Level : 2
HP : 0 / 28
MP : 3 / 1405
EXP : 12
Thanks GEOETTE!
You are a really nice person and also good evaluator.
Really really thank you!

Posted on: 2007/4/30 18:12

Guest_
Hi Ginny

It's my pleasure. I trust the changes are of help.

Cheers.

Posted on: 2007/5/1 13:57

AccountName   Password   Login

You cannot start a new topic.
You can view topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.